Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Ole! Celebrating a little Cinco de Mayo

Although it's a short week for me ... 
boy do I have a lot to share. 

A BIG shout out to all of my fellow teacher friends out there. 
This week is Teacher Appreciation week and boy do I appreciate all that my fellow coworkers and friends have done for those in their district. 

Here are a few words that I many of us live by and are the reason I love what I do ... 


Completing my education at Temple University I have learned to incorporate 
as much culture into my classroom as possible. 
What better way than to celebrate a different culture than with Cinco de Mayo!

I love the story Chicks and Salsa


What a cute book about problem and solution.
There is a simple problem on the farm ... the animals are tired of eating their usual food and instead enjoy Mexican cuisine. This story got my students talking about Mexican food and they were able to relate to the story recalling foods they are tired of eating. 


They did a great job with their chicks and were able to derive sentences describing the foods they are tired of and foods they would much rather enjoy!

What better way to end the story than with a mid-day Fiesta!
I would love to add guacamole to this mix but today's menu was just salsa and nacho cheese:)


I love this because so many students don't have salsa and activities like this encourage students to branch out in their food selections. 

I found an emergent reader here 

I am excited to incorporate this into a future Cinco de May as this reader really helps students understand the holiday as a whole 

I also found a super cute ABC order activity here



With our Mother's Day celebrations this week there was just no time but this would have been a great activity to use for daily centers. 

What a great opportunity to also talk about numbers and words for each number. 
It would also be a great opportunity to talk about the Spanish word for the number as well. 


Check out this great game Cinco de Mayo themed engaging students in 2D and 3D shapes.
A great review on shapes and super engaging. 



Find the game here.
We used Teddy Bears as game pieces and students were to name the shape before they could move on the game board. WOW they did awesome!!!

To top it all off this weeks math lesson had students engaged in building 2D and 3D shapes out of marshmallows. I mean really how much more fun does it get. 



Students really enjoyed exploring the shapes they could make from the materials they had.
I think this may be an activity many of these students partake in this summer. 

A new month also brings a new and FINAL Act of Kindness. 
I am so proud of the district this year and all of their efforts to support local causes. 
This month we are supporting Griffin Pond Animal Shelter


It is Kitty Month and Griffin Pond is looking for any cat donation 
as well as anything from their Wishlist. 

Show some LOVE and make a donation today!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment