Friday, January 8, 2016

Hibernation Station



This week we focused on bears and hibernation.

I loved being away from break and being back feels great! The kids are ready to go and now that its Friday we are all pooped. I am ready for some relaxation this weekend for sure.

 
I introduced this weeks unit with the story Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson
Before reading the story we brainstormed about hibernating and what it means to hibernate.

 
 
We used these sequencing cards to talk about the story.
I found sequencing cards here
 
Later in the day we used Pebblego to listen about and talk about bears.

We completed an anchor chart describing characteristics of a bear.
Students then wrote one sentence about a bear on a plate and
on the reverse side we made our own bears.
They turned out so cute and were a great way to review some of the facts we learned.
 
 
I love the story Hibernation Station by Michelle Meadows
 
 
We discussed all of the animals that we say in the story and talked about how some animals stay and sleep for the winter and other animals migrate.
 
I used this worksheet here to have students separate the animals that hibernate verse migrate.
I don't have a picture but ...
find the worksheet we used here
As students completed the worksheet I encouraged they look back and think about what we read in the story.
 
 
We read Old Bear by Kevin Henkes
 
 
This was a great story about a bear who dreams he is a cub again and goes through all four seasons. I used this worksheet to have students model what they heard and saw in the story.
 

 
This was a great way to review the seasons and the signs we see in each season.
Find a copy of the worksheet here
I encouraged students put the bear in each picture and love how they used great detail to retell the story. 
 
To incorporate our bear unit in with our Olweus program ...
 
I used a recent purchase from scholastics ...
Bear Can't Sleep by Marnie McGee
 
 
I loved this story because it allowed me to talk about recognizing other peoples feelings.
These animals in the story were afraid of the big bear but rabbit was determined to make him feel better. I had students draw pictures about how the animals tried to help bear. We also talked about how sometimes people have bad days.
 
 
post signature
 

No comments:

Post a Comment