Friday, February 12, 2016

A literacy rich valentines

An unusual find but a cute story none the less ...
Will You Be My Valenswine?
by: Teresa Bateman


This is a great story about a little pig looking for love. 
He looks in so many different places but find that his mother loves him the most. 
We wrapped up this story with an craftivity and discussion about what love is ...


How adorable are they!

A new book to me this year was...
A Crakenstein Valentine
by: Samantha Berger


What a cute story about a little boy who does not like valentines day but finds someone who feels the same as him. My kids loved how the character changed at the end of the story.
We used these worksheets after reading this story.

Their illustrations also came out adorable!

Splat is always a classic ...
Love Splat
By: Rob Scotton


This is a classroom favorite. My kiddos love reading Splat books!
I used this story this week while discussing rhyming. 
We focused a great deal on short a word families and students did a great job identifying and extending their word families. 

I received the Love Monster from my Scholastic Order last month ...
Love Monster
by: Rachel Bright

My kids loved this story!
The monster was so interesting to them and they enjoyed his story about finding a friend.
After read the book we completed a sight word worksheet found here.
I read the story for a second time and as a group we listened for our sight words. 
Students then took their worksheet and copied their sight words into individual hearts. 

Another friend of mine uses this story in her classroom...
Mr. Prickles
By: Kara LaReau

What a great story to use while discussing feelings.
This is a book about  porcupine who does not have many friends because of his appearance but then makes another friend who looks just like him. It is a great story to incorporate into a unit while talk about feelings and whats on the inside that counts. 

One more favorite before we move onto some math...
Queen of Hearts
by: Mary Engelbreit


I love this story! It is about a little girl who makes her valentines day bag. She puts so much effort into making it beautiful that she forgets to make her valentines. She ends up giving away the items she used to make her box. 
This is a great story to also incorporate into a sharing unit.
In the past I used this story before we made our own valentines day boxes or bags.


I love incorporating candy or food with math and the kids love it too
Here is the candy graph I downloaded from TPT. 
The kids loved it!



I broke them up into groups of three and the worked together to separate, count, and graph their candy.

I also picked up these adorable tags for their Valentine's Day treats...



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment