Friday, February 20, 2015

Hip Hip Hooray for the 100th day!

100 days already!!! 
Can you believe it. 
The year is flying by and my kiddos are sailing right along.


I had a whole bunch of activities planned for this special day and couldn't wait for my students to arrive. Inspired by Cara Carroll I set up 5 different stations:


100 Kisses
On the bottom of the Hershey Kisses I attached stickers with numbers 1-100. Students were to pull out the kisses from the basket and set them in order from 1-100. To follow up this activity they completed a worksheet with 100 Hershey Kisses and they were to record the numbers 1-100. So cute and they loved sorting the kisses. 



Roll 100 Pennies
For this center students used a large foam dice and continued rolling and coloring pennies until they reached 100 pennies! I really liked this activity because it encouraged patience and 1 to 1 correspondence. Students did a great job with this activity as well. 



100 Gumballs
On a paper plate students were to paint 100 dots and create a number model that corresponded with their gumball machine. I personally loved this activity because it aligned perfectly with what we were currently doing in math. The flaw in this activity became students inability to paint them write, paint then write. Students began loosing count of their numbers. In the future I would revise my gumball worksheet including colors and an empty spot for their number. This way students only need to record their number before moving on. 



Build 100
In this center students built and recorded longs and cubes to show 100 in different ways. Although we only came up with so many students enjoyed being able to apply their knowledge from last weeks math activities to this center. 



Write 100 Words
This center I think always intimidates students ... but when they get the hang of it, they knock it outta the park! OMG so cute and creative. Students recorded their answers on chart paper. In the future I would only have students copy their words on the chart paper and not provide a worksheet. They worked so hard to complete the 100 words and I was so proud of the thought that went into that. 



To celebrate this special day students came dressed with 100 items on their shirts and man were they creative. Something so simple and what a way to celebrate. If any of you know me, you know how much I love popcorn ... I was in love with all of their ideas though.



In addition to the shirts we made hats the day before. I cut strips of paper and each student was to decorate 10 strips with 10 things on each = yup 100! They loved their little crowns and man am I happy we did them the day before. They were all ready to go for our celebration!



Earlier in the week we touched on Presidents Day through this booklet....


Loved it!!!
 And my students were excited to gather information and complete the activities on each page. 
Our week was short again (surprise, surprise) but we loved expanding on our knowledge of the presidents. 

Speaking of knowledge about presidents ... take a look at this video I came across ... 



I love Ellen and this little girl is too cute. 

Last but not least we worked on suffixes this week. I absolutely loved this anchor chart and my students loved the drawings. It was a great representation of how we use the endings -ed and -ing.



Here is a list of words we were able to come up with.
 -ed words were much easier for students then -ing but they did great! 
To follow up we completed this suffix worksheet. Click here to download a little freebie Suffix Spin!


No comments:

Post a Comment