Friday, February 27, 2015

The Good Fit Book

FINALLY!!!!! 
We got are getting in a full week of school. I can't say it will last long but wow it feels good to actually get everything done that I set out to do this week. 

A few weeks ago I shared with you the beginning of our Accelerated Reader Program and I am just astounded at the success of our students. They are reading their good fit books and doing incredible comprehending the stories they read.

To encourage students read books at their independent reading level I tried something new. Of course in small group I am aware of and encourage students take books from their independent reading bins but my kiddos this year definitely needed a visual reminder. 


I made a whole bunch of these circle letters and attached Velcro to the back  so that I can change the reading levels as needed. Then I attached the letters to clothespins that are above each students book box. Inside the book box are activities for Daily 5 instruction: worksheets, writing books, independent books, and partner reading passages. 


Students use these visual reminders to help them choose books from our classroom library. This has been extremely helpful for students when choosing independent reading level. I think this has also been extremely helpful with our Accelerated Reading program as students are choosing those just right books for them and seeing success in their test taking abilities. 


History and Science curriculum is split for our academic year. This week we began our science unit and what better way than to talk about what a scientist is and share how we all scientists at heart. I love this anchor chart and mini project inspired by Cara Carroll.


Students did a great job generating adjectives for a scientist and their personal scientists came out so unique and creative!!!


We just had to display our work in the hallway. I love allowing students to create their own faces. They make the project come alive!


This week we also touched on Dental Health and hygiene. Our donations for the month of February were distributed to Scranton Primary and we had dentists visit and demonstrate healthy habits to take care of your teeth. Students used these tooth brushes to discuss ways to keep your teeth clean and healthy. I used two of the same templates and only had students cut one. This way the top paper would look like bristles on a toothbrush. Under each bristle is a way to keep your teeth clean. 


My kids loved these over-sized tooth brushes!!!

To start our conversation about teeth we read Andrew's Loose Tooth by Robert Munch. This book is adorable. It is about a little boy who has a loose tooth that just wont come out. Nothing will work until he sneezes and the tooth then finally comes out!


After reading the story we completed a craftivity making a text to self connection One time I had a loose tooth. Students did a great job describing the experiences. 


I received this book from Scholastic Book Club last week. The Tooth Fairy Wars is all about a little boy who wants to keep his teeth but the Tooth Fairy finds them in all of his hiding places. 


My kids loved this book and were so excited to think of bobbie traps they could set for their own tooth fairies. I love to their minds turning with ideas after a good book!

We had a great week! 
Now to prepare for Dr. Seuss Week!! 
Hoping the storms hold off so we can get in all we have planned. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment