Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Be An Earth Day Hero!

Although Earth Day has come and gone ...
Treat everyday like EARTH DAY!!!!!


Fill up your classroom library with some great literature and talk with your students about the great things they can do to make a BIG difference. 

All year round we try our hardest to be "GREEN"
Purchase Less, Recycle More, and Use it Again!
It's not always the easiest thing to do but when you work with Primary Students it's a nice time to reflect on what you have been doing and what you can do to make the Earth a better place.


I love this story!
Working with Kindergarten students it's hard to explain what it actually means to "Go Green" but WOW this books gives some great examples and really helps kids recognize the things they can do to help keep the Earth beautiful!

Every little bit counts:)

After reading the story we worked on an anchor chart where we discussed all of the things we can do to show the Earth we love it!


Wouldn't it be fun to ride your bike to school every day?! 
If only we lived close enough!

I used an Emergent Reader this week that I found online.
Loved this book and my kiddos loved coloring and sharing the book with one another. 
Find Sweet Sounds of Kindergarten Emergent Reader here!

Having a Master in Reading I am a huge fan of Read Alouds!
Later in the week we read Michael Recycle!
He is a true Earth Day hero and this book is such a fun read. 


And in search of the picture to post I found this ... 


Don't you love it when you find books by a familiar author. SCORE!!
Can't wait to find out more about this find. 

An Earth Day Hero does not need to save the world nor will he fix all of the problems we have on Earth with pollution and waste. An Earth Day Hero does anything that he or she can.
Here is a little craftivity we completed this week ... 



I was so proud of how hard they worked on their sentences and ideas for this project.
They came out so cute!

In 1st Grade I used Roll and Record activities a BUNCH.
They area great for morning work, partner, or independent games. 
My kids just loved them.

This week's math unit had us venture into Roll and Record activities and for the most part we ROCKED it!
Here is a little Earth Day inspired Roll and Record Worksheet!

I just started diving into Kindergarten only for my assignment to come to an end next week. 
Finding a full time job in this field is not always difficult 
but I have to say it is where I know I am meant to be. 
My students can turn any day into a brighter one and I am blessed to be able to say that.


I also find it rewarding to be around teacher friends 
and friends in general who support what education is all about. 
I spent last weekend working with Comcast and City Year
 to beautify a school in Center City Philadelphia. 
Although our efforts were small... 
I know we made a difference it the students who attend this Elementary School. 



I always knew educational funding was a struggle but ... 
In an article I most recently read I learned about the ratio of funding for schools based on their location and the efforts that are being made to accurately distribute funding based on poverty levels. 

The gap in spending between public schools and the poorest and most-affluent communities has grown during the past decade and Pennsylvania has widest of these gaps.
Check out the article here!
I really hope we can get there Governor  Wolf!

Although our efforts this weekend did not provide funding, 
we brightened the day of many students. 
We are showing them we care and sometimes that's the most important part. 
Sometimes it is the littlest thing that can make the biggest difference. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment