Thursday, August 27, 2015

It's official!

It hasn't been easy but I had my eye on the prize and worked very hard! 


This year I am so excited to say that I am a full time teacher instructing kindergarten!!!!! 

Finally all of the materials I have been accumulating through the years will have a permanent home in a classroom!

Now where to put it all ....


I think it's safe to say I truly didn't know how much stuff I had until I had to sort through it all and find a place for it in my new room. 

Coming into a new space is also very interestingly. I think I spent more time sitting and starring at the room to ensure I liked where everything was and I am certain it will change again.

Reading Corner

How cozy is this! I am in love with my reading corner. 

Books are still labeled and separated by guided reading level. I was able to use my scholastic points from last year to restock my library with appropriate independent reading level books. I love how scholastic allows you to search for books by guided reading level. What a big help!!!


A read aloud book display was left for me from the teacher before. Yay!!! I love being able to display the books we'll be reading for the week. It keeps me organized and prepares students for the topics we will be discussing.

Word Wall

Our words are not displayed yet but will be added throughout the year as students learn new sight words. I love starting with a clean slate and adding words as we learn them. I think this allows students to not be overwhelmed but use the words and build them into their vocabulary as they are learning them. I also like how the word wall then becomes a crucial resource for students as they become more familiar with the word wall and how to use it.

Vowels and Sounds

I was inspired a few years ago while subbing in a primary classroom. What a great idea!! I think this bulletin board really brings short vowel sound to life. I am still on the search for a few more items for the board but I think it's a great start and will help students sound out those short vowel sounds. 

Math Resources

Math center is also ready to rock! I love using B.U.I.L.D! I purchased the year long unit from Kickin it in Kindergarten and I think my kids are gonna LOVE it! Find her units here. I plan to continue to add math strategies to the blank space at the bottom as we begin our math unit. 


This summer I refurbished this chair and am excited to use it as a Share Chair! I saw this in another classroom that I subbed in and have also found some online. In cleaning out my attic this summer I found the perfect chair. I wish I had the before picture but I am so excited to use this along side Kickin it in Kindergartens presentation unit


I decided to go with a crayon and color theme this year. This is where I will display student work throughout the year. 


Kid President has been a huge motivator for many of the things I did last year. He is a huge inspiration and I love sharing him with my students and school family.  I received this book from my sorority president and am so happy to display it with my student's birthday gifts. This year I am giving out crazy straws! Here are the labels I used. But this display is to remind students to treat everyone like it's their birthday! 


I decided to go with a whole body rule approach. I added kind words because it's important we treat others how we want to be treated. I wanted to encourage students to think about how they are acting throughout the day and the changes they could make to be ready to learn. Each day students begin on Ready to Learn. If a rule is broken student will move their clips down the caterpillar as a reminder to always be ready to learn. If a clip was moved then a note goes home with for parents to reinforce the behavior from home. A reward is given for students who have outstanding behavior and do extra nice things for others. 

Play

Students in kindergarten need time for constructive play. This area of my room will be dedicated to this creative part of the day. This was the biggest adjustment for me moving from first grade to kindergarten. I hope my students enjoy this area of my room and will utilize the items within it. 


I had a great deal of help preparing my room from my family and words can't thank each of them enough. My Gram made my curtains and I am so happy to display them in my room.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment