Saturday, September 5, 2015

First Week!


Well here we go!
First year back in Kindergarten and I am so happy to share about our first week.
I have a bright and shiny new group of students with a plethora unique qualities and I cant wait to watch them grow. 

We started the week with the Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn


We spent  time talking about our feelings and shared what we were feeling on the first day of school. 
First day jitters are in us all!

Check out our very first project.
I may have been a little ambitious doing this project solo with 21 new kiddos but I think it went pretty smooth and now Mom and Dad have something special from their child's very first day of school:)


Each students made a kissing hand for someone special. 
Find the printable here 

The first week is all about rules and routines. 

Have you read Lacey Walker Non Stop Talker?


What a cute book about an owl who loves to talk. 
One day she looses her voice and the silence brings her a new appreciation for the people in her life.

 

I pre-cut all of the pieces to these owls.
Students followed whole group instruction to put them together and they even mastered the reassembling of a sentence at the bottom. 
WOW!!! I was super impressed by their work and ability to follow directions, cut these tiny words our and place them in order like I did in the example. 
Of course we had some students finish early and were able to help others who may have been struggling. 
It's all about the team work!!!


We also used an anchor chart to talk about ways that we could be good listeners just like Lucey!
They came up with some great answers. 

I plan to leave this bulletin board up to remind us how to be good listeners. 

Next up ... 
Math Centers!
YES!!!! I ventured into teaching my kiddos about math centers. 
I purchased Elizabeth Halls BUILD units for the year and we are already loving them!

Each day we completed a different BUILD bucket. 
Students learned about the tasks in the bucket and how to treat the materials inside. 
They worked so hard!

 

I was only able to snag a few pictures but this week we really worked on establishing math centers and number recognition with tens frames, numbers, words, and dice. 


They loved the play doh mats and I think a trip to get more play doh will be in my near future!
What a great activity to strengthen their ability to form and recognize numbers!

Too Much Glue was another new purchase this year and I think it was well worth it. 


This book is adorable and its all about a little boy who LOVES glue!
We often use glue sticks and wet glue for projects in class and this book helped students understand why we say to make glue raindrops not puddles!



They were so focused when using the wet glue and they tried to hard to only make little raindrops!


I saw the idea for this somewhere on pinterest but created a worksheet of my own to use this week.


We ended the week with some name recognition and practice.
I was inspired by Cara Carroll's post about this story and name project.

We read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin JR. and John Archambault


Our hallway now displays all the kiddos in my class:)


I bought the letters at Michael's, separated all the letters for each student,
and displayed a paper with their name.

    

I love how unique each tree came out and I love seeing where students are developmentally before we start the year!

I am ready for the weekend and excited to dive into color week next week.
Come back next week and check out how we incorporate color stories and activities into our week.

Before I go I need to share this video ... 

Have you heard about Dalton Sherman???
He gave the keynote in-service speech to an arena full of teachers.
If this doesn't motivate you I don't know what will...
literally brought tears to my eyes. 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment