Sunday, March 8, 2015

Seusstastical Week

Punxsutawney your predictions could not have been more accurate. 
I am very excited for some warmer weather this week.


I love a good week of school spirit full of educational inspiration. 
This week was Dr. Seuss week and we planned a school wide celebration. 
Each day students would dress up in something special and we would celebrate a different Dr. Seuss book. This is the first time we went school wide with a Dr. Seuss week and I was super excited to see how it would go. 


Monday: Cat in the Hat Day (Hat Day)


Tuesday: Fox in Socks (Mix Match Socks)
A day full of rhyming adventure!
I have a worksheet that I am trying to upload just to the blog. Something soon to come:)


This book is quite the tongue twister and confuses my students every time I read it. I mean seriously left them in a giggling fit! We love reading this book in our socks. 


Wednesday: My Many Colored Days (Wear as many colors as possible!)
This book was new to me but it's all about our emotions and the different colors that might represent those emotions. The colors are used as a metaphor for feelings.
I also made another worksheet for this activity that I will soon have uploaded:)


Thursday: Oh! The Places You Will Go (Dress like what you want to be when you grow up)
This day was a huge bummer!!! We ended up with a snow day and many many disappointed students. No worries kiddos ... we'll make it up on Monday!
On our Make Up day we will use the crafitivty below to express our desired professions.


Friday: The Sleep Book (PJ Day)
Another new book for me!
Man the effect a yawn can have.

Surprise surprise the delays, early dismissals and snow days really put a damper on the week. 
I guess that's what we get living where we do. 
On the bright side we made the best of the time we had together and my kids had a blast!!!
A BIG thank you to our PTA for live Cat in the Hat, pretzels and free books for students. 
I am so grateful for our PTA ... they are AMAZING!!!

Here is another way I have celebrated Dr Seuss ...

Mr Brown Can Moo Can You?
Students came dressed as cows wearing brown or white with spots. 
We drank chocolate milk and discussed sound words. 
This is an AWESOME book for onomatopoeia!
(a word that imitates the sound it represents)

I mean seriously look at all of the examples .... 


Students then did a writing about something and the sound it makes.
A worksheet soon to come:) 

Dr Seuss is so well known. My kids each have their favorites, of course ones they can make sense of and others that are just fun!
Check out this Dr. Seuss Book Report
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment